The above image depicts the October 2016 Focus40 Event
What is Focus40?
Focus40 is a 25-year strategic plan for how the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) can meet the needs of the region in the year 2040.
- Highlighting long-term performance, reliability, and capacity needs for the MBTA
- Strengthening municipal partnerships for improved transit in our region
- Conducting an extensive public engagement process
Every day, the MBTA works to improve service for today's customers. The evolving and dynamic nature of the region it serves argues for a long-term vision, too. Focus40 is developing a 25-year investment strategy that recognizes needs of the current system, as well as the shifting demographics, changing climate, and evolving technologies that may alter the role the MBTA will play in the Greater Boston of the future.
Focus40 will recommend a set of investment strategies for the MBTA, including programs, places and policies that will help the MBTA plan for a variety of future scenarios, and places where key investments are needed.
We aim to address the challenges you told us about through the identification of programs, key places for investment, and policies:
- The PROGRAMS will speak to your vision for improving the different modes of transportation and emphasize the benefits that will result from a modernized and reliably functioning MBTA.
- The KEY PLACES will identify areas where the MBTA should prioritize new or expanded service based on where transit improvements are needed the most and have the greatest benefit to the region.
- Finally, the POLICIES will clearly articulate how system expansion and resiliency should be pursued for the MBTA to most strategically support the needs of the region in 2040.